Vacation is the perfect time to kick back, relax and get some much-needed rest! Where does exercise fall into that? Many people would not dream of exercising while on vacation, but then there also many others who have worked so hard to get to where they are at, that they cannot imagine taking such a long break. This article will look at both options, that way you can decide which would be best for you.
Where Do You Work Out On Vacation?
Depending on where in the world you travel to on vacation can sometimes influence your decision on whether you workout or not. For example, destinations that are in extremely hot areas can make working out a challenge. The very last thing you would want to happen on vacation is becoming dehydrated or not hydrated enough to support your muscles, which can end up leaving you with cramps.
If your hotel or wherever you are staying does not have a gym, it can be worrying knowing where to go to workout. You may not be familiar with areas to even go out for a jog, and it is always better to be safe, especially in unfamiliar areas. Even if your accommodation does offer a gym, they are not always the cleanest! If you do use a gym while you are away, bring some disinfectant wipes with you to ensure you can wipe down any equipment prior to use.
Vacation gives you the opportunity to really reset your mind. Some people find that exercise feels like a chore and the last thing you want to be doing on vacation are chores! Sometimes a break allows you to focus on clearing you mind and focusing on how you can really go about achieving some of your goals. Your fitness journey can be overwhelming at times and your mindset is sometimes the biggest part of it. If you feel you need it, while on vacation, take that break and realign your thoughts, ready to come back better and stronger.
It’s Important to Maintain Your Fitness Routine
Unfortunately for those that have worked extremely hard to get in shape, taking time off from exercise can be difficult, especially for a prolonged period of time like while you are on vacation. Even with just a couple of weeks off exercise our bodies can change – while this may not be drastic change, it can sometimes set people back and make it harder for them to remain motivated. We all lose our fitness abilities when taking breaks, and it depends entirely on your body, but here are some general ideas of what can occur:
- As horribly unfair as this is, those who are more fit tend to lose their fitness faster
- Aerobic capacity is lost much more quickly than muscular capacity, as your muscles have a memory that makes them capable of being more resilient
- In just three weeks, your aerobic capabilities can decrease by about 5-10%
- In two months, you can lose all of the abilities that you had been building up
These ideas are not to put you off taking a break, but just to help you understand the importance of maintaining your fitness as it can take months upon months to create change, and just weeks to lose it!
While on vacation you may actually be exercising without even realizing it, even sometimes just a little can maintain your weight. If you are visiting a hot country that boasts beautiful beaches, it is likely you will participate in some kind of activity that will raise your heart rate just a little. Swimming, surfing, paddle boarding and wakeboarding are all great activities that provide you with some exercise without realising as you will be having so much fun. Sightseeing is one of the best things to do in a new place and you can sometimes walk for hours without realising how many steps you have racked up. Walking, especially at a good pace, is a great way to elevate your heart rate and burn some fat.
Some countries tend to use really wholesome foods, so when you are eating out, you do not have to worry so much about the calories you may be consuming. However, there are also a fair share of countries that do not, so this is entirely dependent on where you go. Caribbean islands boast a range of tropical fruits so you can snack all day without feeling too guilty!
If you want to maintain a bit of a routine while you are on vacation, there are some great exercises you can do right from your hotel room. You can even pack some equipment with you that can boost these moves, such as resistance bands or even wrist weights.
- Single-Leg Lunges: stand at the end of the bed or use a chair, with one leg resting on it. Bend your front knee forward so you can perform a simple lunge. Do your preferred number of reps per side.
- Lunge to Front Kick: start with your right leg extended behind you and your left in lunge position. Use your right leg to kick forward and return to the original position. Do your preferred number of reps per side.
- Single-Leg Squat: pull up a chair and stand in front of it. With feet hip width apart, lift one leg slightly off the floor and squat down until your glutes touch the chair and return to starting position. Do your preferred number of reps per side.
- Tricep Dip: position your hands on a chair with your fingertips facing towards your back. Stretch your legs out in front of you and use your arms to slowly lower and raise you. Do your preferred number of reps.
- Elevated Plank with Oblique Crunches: using either a chair or coffee table, get into a plank position with your feet elevated and resting on a chair/table. Then lift your left leg and draw it towards your left elbow to perform an oblique crunch. Do your preferred number of reps per side.
The decision of whether you workout on vacation is entirely up to you. Either way, have fun and make the most of wherever you are visiting!